How to Transfer Your CNA License

If you have a CNA, or Certified Nursing Assistant, license that is valid in one state but you want to practice in another state as a CNA, you will be required to transfer your license. The transfer of this type of license is also referred to as reciprocity. When you are ready to move and work in the state of your choice, you will have to apply for new certification.

Steps you need to complete to transfer your CNA License

During the reciprocity process, the state examining board will look over your CNA credentials before allowing you to be added to the state’s Nursing Assistant registry. In order to transfer your CNA License, there are a few steps you need to complete first.

Request an Application

First of all, you will need to contact your current state of employment’s Nursing Assistant registry to obtain a reciprocity application. While speaking to a representative, be sure to find out if you need to return the form back to them or send it off to state’s registry where you want to work.

Contact the Other State’s Registry

Just to be on the safe side, speak with a representative from the other state’s registry to tell them about your proposed reciprocity; find out if the form should be returned to them. Every state prefers something different. There are states that prefer to get the transfer from a CNA’s current state of employment and states that wish for the form to be sent directly from the CNA.

Mailing, Faxing, and Other Documentation

Sometimes, the proposed state of employment may request that you send them the application via postal mail; if so, do it as quickly as possible. However, some states may allow you to fax it. Do not forget to inquire about any other needed documentation and make sure to update them regarding your new address.

As far as other documentation is concerned, you will probably be asked to provide the CNA registry with a government-issued photo ID, social security card, recent pay slip to prove you have practiced as a Nursing Assistant during the previous two years, and the current CNA approval you possess.

You may also like

Jakie S

I have been a CNA in the state of California since 1995. One of my passions in life is to help people and help others who want to expand their careers and become CNAs.

1 Response

  1. Beatriz Oquendo says:

    I have my CNA from Washington DC and I am in NC how can I transfer my license to NC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.